The Children’s Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Book Week 2017 theme Escape to Everywhere opens many opportunities to connect with literature and have fun. In addition to the Missing Book Character Poster activity planned for students in P-2 we are planning a writing reflection activity for Grades 3-4. The task encourages students to engage with a book they have enjoyed reading and write a Postcard imagining they are in the story. This activity aims to get the student inside the book, experience an event with the character and reflect on where else they could go within the story.
Steps to promote this activity:
Choose a book you have really enjoyed reading – it could be a picture book or chapter book.
Make a list of ideas, the questions below will help get you started – remember a postcard aims to capture where you are, what you are doing.
- Who is the character(s) you are with?
- Where are you? What you can see.
- What activities are you doing?
- Where might you be going?
- Address you postcard to your class and remember to write your name and class
- Draw a stamp for your postcard
- Draw a picture that is connected to the book
- Write the book title and author on your drawing so we all know what great book we can read next
I am planning on introducing this as a competition for students in Grades 3-4 to be done at lunch in the library, one entry per student to be entered. If you decide to run this at your school I would love to hear how it goes.
The guide and a postcard template is available for download.